Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Confession and RE Update

Confession
First of all I have a HUGE confession to make.  For those of you that have been following or reading my blog I hope you understand why this is something I did not make known previously in my blog.  I will explain later.  So here goes.


This will not be my first IVF.  A year ago, we through one round of IVF overseas.  Unfortunately it was not successful.


I grew up in Asia and was home visiting family for a couple of months and decided while we were there, we'd try a round of IVF.  It was a lot cheaper to do it there compared to the US.  Only my family and a few of my close friends know we did this.  It's not something we like to share because some people frown on the idea of going overseas for treatment.  Plus we weren't sure if it was something we would share with our RE and if it would disqualify us from the IVF shared risk program.  Last night, DH and I discussed whether we should tell our RE about this.  Giving her this additional information may come in handy in her decisions on our protocol and procedures.   We decided it would be the best to be honest, even if it meant jeopardizing our chance at the shared risk program.


Overall we had a good experience doing IVF in this Asian country (due to the anonymous nature of this blog, I will not be disclosing the country).  I will write about it in more detail in a later post.


Now that you know the truth about our IVF experience, I will be updating my TTC history in this blog.


RE Update
Now, on to the part that you have been waiting for, the update on our appointment with the RE.

Last night, I again had a hard time falling asleep.  I think I got 4 hours of sleep, max.  I was tired, but felt pretty good at the appointment.  Since our last visit, the RE clinic had moved to a newly built and much nicer building.  There must be a huge market for the fertility business because the clinic was much bigger, fancier, and covered 2 floors.  The waiting room was twice the size of the old one and it was pretty busy, even in this sucky economy.  We found out later from our RE that the new facility included a new world-class IVF suite, with its own procedure rooms, andrology lab, embryo lab, incubators, recovery room, etc.  "The best that we could find", as she put it.

Our meeting with the RE, whom we shall call Dr. Hopeful, went really well.  She noticed it's been 2 years since our last visit so she asked us what we've been up to.  Right away, we were upfront about our previous IVF overseas.  I was worried about how she would react to it, but she seemed OK with it.  She was quite pleased with how I responded during that cycle, other than the fact it didn't work.  Our meeting lasted almost an hour and she gave me lots of information.   I was given the following handouts.
  • IVF handbook
  • Estimate of charges broken down into details by monitoring, IVF procedures, medication and additional charges.
  • Statistics of IVF results for the clinic
  • List of acupuncturists in our area.  Dr. Hopeful could not recommend acupunture medically (inconclusive research), but her thought is if it makes you feel good and help you relax, then do it.
  • Comparison sheet for the cost of IVF by fee for service (pay by cycle) vs. share risk program.
  • Classes for Mind/Body program, which she highly recommended.
In addition I found out the following:
  1. Dr. Hopeful does not think a previous failed IVF necessarily means we don't qualify for the shared risk program, and recommends applying for it.  More details about the cost and payment of IVF will be discussed with Melissa, the financial coordinator.  In the mean time, we still have not decided if we will do the shared risk program.
  2. Only 2 embryos will be transfered
  3. Based on our fertilization success during our last IVF, we will not need to do ICSI.
  4. There is an 18% change of miscarriage with IVF.  
  5. I will be on Lupron, Menopur and Follistim.  I have had experience with Follistim, but will need to pay attention to researching side effects of Lupron and Menopur.
  6. I will NOT need to do PIO (progesterone in oil) shots!!  The is the BEST news yet!!  I guess I will be on a suppository called End.ometrin.  I am so happy about this!
  7. We will probably go in for a shots class so DH can figure out how to stick a very long needle in my butt.
  8. I will need to do one IM (intramuscular) shot for the HCG trigger shot, most probably be done by DH.  I can handle doing one IM, but so relieved I don't have to do daily IM PIO shots.
  9. The doctors at the RE office rotate through the procedures weekly.  This means Dr. Hopeful or one of the other doctors may actually perform the procedures.
  10. We will need to do the following tests: 
  • Ovarian Assessment Report -  to test the quality of my remaining eggs
  • SIS (Saline Infused Sonogram) - check the uterus
  • Trial transfer - measure the uterus prior to embryo transfer
  • STD screening
It sounds like after my next AF arrives, I will start BCP on day 2 or 3 for 21 days, then start stims.  Today I am on CD11.  If AF is on schedule (which she probably won't be), I should start BCP on Feb 1st, and then we go from there.

In the mean time, I am waiting for a nurse to call to schedule a consultation and also for Melissa the financial coordinator to call to discuss costs and payments.  Actually someone from the clinic called this afternoon to discuss starting my IVF cycle but I was napping, thanks to only 4 hours of sleep the night before.  Tomorrow I will call the clinic and find out our next steps.

I'm getting excited about finally starting this, but at the same time I'm torn about the huge amount of money we are about to spend of IVF.

5 comments:

  1. I like the name "Dr. Hopeful". Even though I'm still in a blur over all the terms & procedures, I sense the upbeat energy from you & DH. Keeping a close eye on your updates in this blog & will continue to persevere in prayer for Baby to make a grand appearance soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a link to acronyms: http://baby-on-mind.blogspot.com/2009/11/wacky-if-lingo.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. well.....I'm actually glad that you are honest about the procedure in foreign country. Reading your blog, it does make a lot more sense to be honest. Although initially I figured it may work against you.

    I told you already, IM PIO is not a standard procedure! I'm glad you don't have to do that. It does hurt and it is not fun.

    You do sound heck a lot more upbeat. Also, I like that your RE is open to accupuncture. Did you ask abt herbal supplements? Mine was totally against it.

    Also, we have exactly the same meds. Have you looked into where to order them?

    In any case, good luck and ttyl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good visit with the RE. I hope and pray that this will be THE cycle for you. I am on IVF #2, and the shots are killing me this time around.

    I've never heard of PIO shots, but the En.dometrium suppositories are yucky!

    Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were honest with the RE, I think the more information she has the better chance at success you'll have. Best of luck as you get started with IVF #2 - I hope it is the cycle for you!

    ReplyDelete