Well, it's been a while, and since nothing has happened (i.e. no babies or BFPs), DH is finally ready to move on to IVF with the RE. I think I have a pretty good idea on what to expect, but still there are a lot of questions. Since I am the one that has been doing all the research and obsessing over blogs and bulletin blogs (come on, admit it, I know you have too!), I'm hoping DH would get a better idea of what IVF entails.
So, in preparation for our appointment, I have prepared a list of questions for the RE when we meet her. Thanks to Venting Vagina who steered me to her post on questions to ask in preparation for IVF, and to Jo who gave me some good suggestions, here's my list of questions.
- Do you provide any IVF orientation or training (I've heard some clinics offer orientations)
- What additional or repeat testing is needed?
- Can you provide details of the cost of IVF?
- What is the payment schedule like?
- Are we candidates for the Shared Risk program?
- Are there any ways to reduce the cost of IVF? (free meds, testing done somewhere else, etc.)
- What is the protocol to be used? Why?
- What will the timing be?
- Are IM shots required in this protocol (I am OK with sub Q shots but am terrified of IM shots!)
- What is the success rate in cases similar to ours?
- Will ER and/or ET be done at the hospital or on site?
- Will you do a 3-day or 5-day transfer? Why?
- How many embryos will be transfered?
- How do you store remaining embryos? Do you freeze in multiples or singularly? On site?
- Will we need to consider ICSI?
- Do we need to test for ovarian reserve? (I just heard about AMH, anti-mullerian hormones that can test for ovarian reserve)
- How will my meds be ordered/delivered?
- How available will you or your nurses be during the process? Is there a particular nurse or advocate I can work with?
- What are the chances of miscarriage?
- What are the possible side effects of the IVF drugs and procedures?
- What can be done to increase the chance of success? (herbs, acupuncture, etc.)
Am I missing anything else? Do you have any good tips on what to ask the RE? I'd love to hear about your IVF experiences.