I finally called the clinic today. I figured I'd wait a couple of days for Dr. Hopeful to catch up from being on vacation. When I called the receptionist said Dr. Hopeful had been busy with procedures since she's been back and she's probably still haven't had a chance to catch up on her messages. Okay...... so I figured I'd give her another day or so and call back. Less than half an hour later, the clinic calls back with a few options to squeeze in to see Dr. Hopeful. It pays to call and get on their case!
So now we are set for a post-IVF conference with her next week on Tuesday, April 13th.
Now, my goal is to set out a list of questions to ask Dr. Hopeful when I see her next week. Here's a high level summary of my last IVF cycle:
- I was on BCPs for 24 days, then on Lu.pron for 12 days before starting stims.
- I stimmed on Meno.pur and Follis.tim for 13 days
- At day of trigger, I had 10 mature follicles, another 9 or 10 that would potentially be matured at retrieval. Lining was excellent at 15 mm.
- At egg retrieval, found out that the right ovary was at a "difficult location", and eventually we were not able to retrieve any eggs from that right ovary.
- 8 eggs were retrieved from the left ovary, 6 were mature.
- At 2 days post retrieval, only 1 egg fertilized.
- At 3 days post retrieval, another egg fertilized. But the first embryo was only at 3-cell.
- At 4 days post retrieval, 1st embryo was only at 4-cell, and 2nd embryo had stayed at 2-cell.
- Embryo transfer was canceled since all embryos had arrested.
Some questions that I will be asking Dr. Hopeful when I see her next:
- What could have caused the right ovary to be in a "difficult location"? Why was it never mentioned to me before? (I was able to retrieve eggs from both ovaries from my previous IVF a year ago).
- What would have cause the the low fertilization rate, only 2 in a total of 6 have fertilized? Would 1 year make that much of a difference in the quality of my eggs? (My previous IVF, I had 8 out of 12 fertilized)
- What could have caused the embryos to have arrested before day 5 transfer (only at 2 and 4 cell stage)?
- Why wasn't a day-3 or day-4 transfer considered since I only had 2 eggs that fertilized?
- Should ICSI have been considered? (I think this was not considered since we did not have any issues with my Babe's sperm)
- Would you recommend any additional testing?
- What would you recommend for the next cycle? Would you be changing anything with the protocol?
So, what else would you ask the RE if you were me?