Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas Card Dilemma


So, it's less than 2 weeks to Christmas and I still don't have my Christmas cards or letter started yet.  I can't even find the Christmas cards I bought last year, you know, the half price ones from the day after Christmas Sales.  Well, at least I think I bought some.  I have to go through my "junk" room to see if I can find it.  By the way, the "junk" room is supposed to be our nursery when the baby comes.  It's been the junk room for a few years now.  Have not been motivated the clean the room since still no sign of baby.

So we've been doing Christmas letters with our cards every year.  Some years we've included photo greeting cards with the letters, sometimes store bought cards.  This year, I'm not sure what to do.

Do we want to send photo greeting cards?  What's the point?  Who really wants to see a picture of the both of us?  Again?  It would be different if we had pictures of babies or kids.  "Oh your kids are so cute!".  "They have gotten so big!"  Nope, not with our photos.

I've been planning our Christmas greeting card for when our baby comes.  A picture of our sleeping baby with a big bow tied around it, and a tag that says "Gift from God".  I've been planning this for a few years.  Next year, maybe?

Should we do a Christmas letter this year?  What do we say in the letter?  No one really knows we have been trying for a baby for 6 years!  Every year, I hope that we would be able to include an "introducing our newest addition" section in the letter.  Baby's name, sex, weight, etc.  How fun would that be?  I'm still waiting to do that.

Most years the letters include our travels (we try to travel every year).  DH and I speculate that most people are envious of our travels (usually overseas) and think we are just selfish and are enjoying ourselves.  "Oh, must be nice be able to travel since you have no kids".  If only they knew.

What else should we talk about in the letter?  Our work? Yes, hubby's been working a whole lot of hours for his job, but do people really want to know that stuff?

I left my job in January because I was too stressed out from it. I did some traveling and spent some time overseas with my family and aging parents.  I was also hoping that the lack of stress would help in TTC.  Not many people know about this.  Not something I like to share with others unless people ask.  Especially in this crazy economy.  I'm lucky that DH is still working and has a decent job that gives me the privilege to not work, at least for now.  Most people can't fathom how I could  leave my job voluntarily.  Sometimes it makes me feel guilty, but it's for the better.  I contemplated going back to work but a couple of my friends that know that I am TTC convinced me to wait.  It was not easy for me to make the decision to leave my job.  One friend said "If you go back to your job, you can forget about getting pregnant!"  So for now I am not working, and enjoying the time off.

Anyways, I still have not decided if I will write a letter this year.  I'd really like to.  Maybe just do a "highlights of the year" letter.  Mostly about travel again.  This year actually included a trip to Hawaii.  People must think we live such a glamorous life.  Hah!  If only they knew!

Will update the status of the Christmas cards in a later post.

4 comments:

  1. I just couldn't bring myself to send Christmas cards this year :(

    Good for you for quitting your job! I have a really stressful job and think about quitting all the time because of IF.

    If people 'only knew' is so true. I'm sure you have a lot of wonderful things in your life that you can put in your letter despite IF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still debating about the whole Christmas card/letter thing too. To send or not to send? We've sent them out the last 8 yrs, but now I feel like there really isn't anything exciting in our lives worth mentioning. I may just end up sending out plain xmas picture card and that's it.

    You are fortunate to be a stay at home wife. The stress of a job really takes it toll when you're going through IF. Enjoy your time off and focus on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to this dilemma as well. My husband and I usually send out a photo card and letter. Yes, sometimes I feel a bit silly sending a photo of the two of us year after year (after year, after year...), but like you, we usually send one of us from a special trip we may have taken that year. This year I decided not to send a letter because I just didn't feel I had very much to say this time.

    My general opinion, though, is that YOU have news and stories and trips and fun times to celebrate that are worth sharing, too! It's not limited to those who have children. I say get the word out and let others see the joyful things going on in your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, This content is very very great content, I got really good information from this content and it helps me a lot, I hope it can help many people like me. carpet mats abu dhabi

    ReplyDelete