Friday, April 25, 2014

National Infertility Awareness Week (NIAW)



So..... this week is National Infertility Awareness Week (NIAW), from April 20th - 26th.  It is the 25th year is has been celebrated.   It is organized by RESOLVE to encourage the infertility community to spread the message and educated others about infertility.

Many people have posted on Face.book about NIAW and shared their infertility journeys.  I have never been very open about our infertility to our friends and family, except in this blog.  It's just one of those things that Babe and I are not comfortable sharing with others publicly, except for a few close friends and family, though many people probably have already guessed that we are dealing with infertility.  I think I may be more open about this, when and if we get to "the other side", i.e. when we are finally able to bring a child home.

I had intentions to participate this year on this blog, to write a post or share a couple of articles.  But I got busy.  And lazy.  And the next thing I know, it's already the end of the week.  Oh well.

Today, one of my fellow blogger friends posted this quote that beautifully states the definition of infertility:

"The English language lacks the words to mourn an absence.  For the loss of a parent, grandparent, spouse, child or friend, we have all manner of words and phrases, some helpful some not.  Still we are conditioned to say something, even if it is only "I'm sorry for your loss".  But for an absence, for someone who was never there at all, we are wordless to capture the particular emptiness.  For those who deeply want children and are denied them, those missing babies hover like silent ephemeral shadows our their lives.  Who can describe the feel of a tiny hand that is never held?"
  - Laura Bush, Spoken From the Heart

I love that this quote describes the feeling of emptiness of missing something that was never there in the first place.  How can you miss something that was not there?  You can.  And you may never understand that feeling until you walk the path of infertility.

Today, I started my Es.trace pills.  Half a tablet, twice a day.  It's always interesting trying to cut your tiny pills in half.  Thank goodness for the pill cutter.

Cutting the Es.trace pills in half

3 comments:

  1. The blog are the best that is extremely useful to keep.
    I can share the ideas of the future as this is really what I was looking for,
    I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much!
    linen curtains in abu dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, This content is very very great content, I got really good information from this content and it helps me a lot, I hope it can help many people like me.
    natural sisal carpet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, This content is very very great content, I got really good information from this content and it helps me a lot, I hope it can help many people like me.rugs in abu dhabi

    ReplyDelete