And so it begins.... again.
I started Lu.pron tonight. I have been on birth control pills since March and will continue till Saturday night, but the Lu.pron shots officially (to me at least) marks the beginning of my protocol for my May transfer.
After talking over with Babe we have decided that we will stick with 2PNs as per NEDC's normal process for donors with both 2PNs and blastocysts. Yesterday, Carol the embryologist called me after hearing that I had some concerns but I assured her that we have decided to stick with NEDC's usual process and go with the 2PNs.
According to Carol, they will thaw three 2PN embryos 2 days before our transfer, with the goal of having at least 2 of those will survive and grow into healthy multicells. If all three are of great quality, they will only transfer two, and will refreeze one for future use. According to her, this is the best stage to refreeze embryos if needed. She also said that 2PNs do very well at thaw and have pretty good pregnancy rates. The pregnancy rate for 2PNs is the same as multicell and blastocysts.
The other thing Carol mentioned is Dr. Keenan tends to recommend patients going for their third try at NEDC to try embryos from a different stage than the previous attempts. This is true as Dr. Keenan did suggest trying embryos that are not blasts this time around. It just so happened that while looking at donor profiles, most of the donors that seemed right for us had blasts. The family we selected just happened to also have 2PNs, so like I mentioned in my previous post, they were more of an afterthought. But we have decided this is good thing, using 2PNs. In the end, we are ending up to use embryos at a stage suggested by the doctor anyway.
One more thing that will be different for us this transfer. Because we are using 2PNs, NEDC will have to do assisted hatching on the embryos, which at the time of transfer will be at the multicell stage. There is an additional cost of $525, but that in the end, the cost is just another part of the process of working with embryos.
I have scheduled my 2 ultrasound and lab appointments for 4/24 and 5/12. My endometrial biopsy is also scheduled on 4/24. In addition, I have scheduled an ultrasound to check my uterine lining for polyps. My gynecologist has suggested having the biopsy and ultrasound on the same day so I could save a trip to the doctor's office. Unfortunately, the ultrasound tech is not in the office the day I need to have my biopsy, so I have to go in to the doctor's 2 days in a row. My gynecologist wants to have the ultrasound done as close as possible to the biopsy so he has the most current results. I also checked with my gynecologist if there are any other testing that can be done for recurring chemical pregnancies and he said no. Dr. Keenan said the same thing, so I will let that rest.
So right now, all my appointments are scheduled, my calendars are updated with appointment and reminders to take my medication on my phone. I just have to remember to do my shots and take my meds.
Next up, I need to book our flights, hotel and car rental.