**If you would still like to take part in my $10 Starbucks gift card giveaway in honor of my 200th follower, please do so by commenting in the last post here. You have till 11:59 pm CST Saturday, March 8th to do so.**
This morning, I finally emailed NEDC's coordinator to be matched with a family.
This has been THE HARDEST decision Babe and I have had to make in our embryo adoption journey.
After receiving donor profiles of Caucasian families last week, we narrowed those down to 2 families. We requested information about the embryos from these families, which we received on Wednesday.
After reviewing all the profiles, we narrowed our choices to our top 3 families. One was Caucasian, one Asian, and one bi-racial. This was the toughest part. Do we want to pick a family where the children looked like me, or like Babe, or a of both? For me, it is a tough decision to have to pick the race of your child. Ideally, we want children that would look like the both of us. However, if you think about it, in many cases, you don't usually get to pick the race of your child in traditional adoption either. So we decided we would not let race be such a big part of our decision (though I have to admit it was tough!).
We want to pick a family with the highest chance of a successful pregnancy. Since this is our third transfer at NEDC, we would be out of the program at NEDC if we are not successful this time. So, we are looking for a family with excellent quality embryos, but also with a young genetic mother, as recommended by Dr. Keenan. But none of these families had both.
I emailed the embryologist asking what has a higher chance of a successful pregnancy, embryos from a younger genetic mother, or embryos with higher quality grading. In her opinion, embryos from a younger genetic mother is more likely to give me a higher chance of pregnancy than higher grade embryos.
So, after even more consideration, we have decided to go with a family with the younger genetic mother. This morning we sent a request to be matched with this donor family. Hopefully, this will give the family the weekend to review our profile and make a decision to either accept or decline us.
I'm relieved that this part of the decision is made. I'm praying that the donor family makes a decision quickly so we can proceed with the next steps of our transfer.