First of all I need to clarify that we need to have at least 6 embryos for our transfer. However, we are NOT going to transfer all six. NEDC will usually transfer 2 or 3, but they want to make sure we have at least 6 embryos on hand. In the unfortunate event that some embryos do not survive the thaw, we will have backups and not have to cancel the transfer.
We still have not selected our donor families. I was very excited and was looking forward to going over the family profiles. To me, this is the most exciting part of the process, selecting our future babies. However, I didn't expect how difficult it would be. There is no "perfect" match for us in the 8 profiles we have on hand. Some are because of medical issues, others due to physical characteristics (height, color of eyes, ethnicity, etc.). I have to keep in mind that even within our own families, we have medical issues as well, so I should be more open. Also, most of the current donor families only have between 3 and 5 embryos, which means we will have to select at least 2 different donor families.
There are 2 families that I am fairly comfortable with at this point. However, I am not sharing this with Babe because I want him to make up his own mind. I prefer if he tells me which families he likes first, then we can compare notes. I've check with Angie the patient coordinator at NEDC and there are currently 12 anonymous donor families (i.e. closed adoption) that are either Asian-Causcasion or just Asian. Babe wants to take a look at those families too, so I have requested the profiles from Angie. The other thing to keep in mind is we can only select families that have agreed to open or closed adoption, and not a combination of both. My preference is to have an open adoption, but we will see.
I've just started a new cycle. Originally I was supposed to start BCP (birth control pills) right away when I start my new cycle. But I asked the nurse that if I started my BCP right away, wouldn't I be on the it for 3 months straight? She said I could start right away, or wait till July. It didn't matter. So I've decided to wait till July to start my BCP. I won't be ordering my medication for the transfer until the beginning of August. So for now, I will be medication free, at least for another month!