My transfer is in exactly one week. We hop on the plane (hopefully) on Sunday, pending my ultrasound and estradiol appointment on Thursday. My lining will need to be at at least 7 mm for this to be a go a planned. If all is well, our transfer is on Tuesday the 21st.
Truth be told, I'm a little nervous. Though my appointment for my last transfer in November went fine (my lining was 9 mm), I'm a little nervous that it may be thin like it was for my originally planned September transfer when it was only 6.3 mm. It was supposed to be delayed a couple of days but in the end was cancelled when we found out I had a polyp that needed to be removed first. So, I'm praying that my lining will be at least 7 mm, so we would not be delayed. To help it along, I have been going in for weekly acupuncture sessions, though I will have 2 this week. I have also been eating fresh raspberries and putting a hot pad over my uterus to help with blood flow to the lining, as per my acupucturist. If all goes well, I should start my PIO (progesterone in oil) shots on Friday.
On another note, I had an appointment with my doctor to follow-up on my blood pressure concern. At my hysteroscopy to remove my polyp, they found that my blood pressure was really high. I went to see my doctor and we discussed that we would monitor my blood pressure at home for a couple of months, increase my activity levels, lower my salt intake and eat more fruits and veggies. Well my blood pressure was still slightly elevated. I have to admit, I have not been good at eating a low sodium diet with all the holidays and traveling. Nor have I been exercising much with my butt being sore during PIO shots, being on vacation, and trying to get out to exercise in this recent extreme cold weather.
I am not keen to start taking BP medication. But with a family history of high BP, and me potentially being pregnant, my doctor has started me on a BP meds called Metholdopa. This medication is safe for pregnancy, and is in fact used by pregnant women to control high BP. At this point, it is more important to manage my BP as having high BP during pregnancy can lead to complications such as preecampsia, low birth rate and stillbirth.
I will have a follow up appointment with my doctor in about 3 weeks. By then, I will would have had my transfer, and will know if I am pregnant. It is not the way I was hoping to start off 2014, but I will do what is best for my body and my future baby (babies?!).
Ramblings on the Insanity of Infertility, Life and Now.....Our Path to the Miracle of Embryo Adoption.
Showing posts with label blood pressure. Show all posts
Showing posts with label blood pressure. Show all posts
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
Friday, November 8, 2013
Doctor's Visit
I went to the doctor's today to have my blood pressure checked out. I started off with getting my flu shot. Then I met my new doctor who will be my primary care provider. All these years, I have never had a primary doctor. Most of my doctor's visits were either to my RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist, i.e. fertility specialist) or to my gynecologist who does my annual check ups and have my hysteroscopies. I have always been healthy and never really saw the same doctor because I only went to the doctor's so rarely.
The doctor and I went over how my BP (blood pressure) was elevated at my surgery last week, and how I was to monitor it over a week and since it was still high, I decided to have it checked out. We also went over the fact that I had a cold more than 3 weeks ago, and had been coughing for 3 weeks. We went over all my previous and current medications, including those related to my frozen embryo transfer - birth control pills, Lu.pron and Es.trace. He agreed that coughing and hormones can cause my BP to be elevated.
My BP is higher than normal but not high enough that he would be terribly concerned right now. I am not excessively overweight, do not smoke and rarely drink. However, because of my family history of high BP, he wants me to incorporate lifestyle changes - exercise more, eat more fruits and veggies and reduce sodium in my diet. He wants me to monitor and track my BP for the next couple of months. I am happy that he decided not to put me on medication. At least not yet.
He is aware of my frozen embryo transfer coming up and noted that there are a few different types of BP medication that is safe for pregnancy. If I do get pregnant from this upcoming transfer, he said I will need to be monitored more closely anyway by my Ob-Gyn because I would be considered high risk. Hopefully my BP will get back to normal before becoming pregnant.
The doctor listened to my heart and lungs and everything was good. Lungs was clear so no bronchitis. He looked into my nose and saw some swelling and congestion. Since I've had this cough for 3 weeks, he decided to prescribe me some antibiotics for the cough and possible sinus infection. Especially with my travel to TN and my transfer coming up, he wanted to make sure I get over whatever it is that is causing my cough. I told him I'm so worn out from the coughing.
He also ordered a bunch of tests for me. I think it is mostly related to checking for my BP and cholesterol. I did a urine test, blood work for cholesterol and I think also for my thyroid, and even an EKG! I'm familiar with urine test and blood work but the EKG, that was new for me. When I had my EKG tested, the nurse noted that my heart was really strong. I wasn't sure what she meant and if it was related to my BP. She said no, it's just that I have a strong heart which is a good thing. She showed me my graph compared it to the other patients', and said it looked really good.
The nurse also said that my doctor is really good and very thorough. He takes time with his patients and listens to them. She said he is one of those doctors that put his foot down and refuses to be rushed with his patients. When I was researching which doctor to see, I saw that he has over 25 years of experience and has good reviews from patients. Looks like I picked a good doctor!
So right now, I'm pretty happy with the outcome of this doctor's visit. I am taking antibiotics and Muci.nex for my cough.
I am not on any BP medications yet, but will do the following:
- Monitor my BP daily for the next couple of months
- Increase my activity levels - need to exercise more
- Lower my salt intake
- Eat a diet high in fruits and veggies (I should be doing that anyway!)
- See the doctor for a follow up visit in 2 months.
I'm so happy I don't need BP meds (yet)!
I'm hoping this antibiotics will do the trick for my cough.
I'm hoping this antibiotics will do the trick for my cough.
12 days to transfer!
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)