Showing posts with label November. Show all posts
Showing posts with label November. Show all posts

Thursday, November 14, 2013

We are a GO for November Transfer!!

We are a GO for November transfer!!  

Sorry if you have been waiting all day for an update.  I had my ultrasound and blood work this morning.  My lining was at 9.3 mm, so I knew it was looking good.  But I had to wait for my blood work results to come back and the clinic had to fax the results over to NEDC before I would hear anything back from Katie, the NEDC nurse.

After my appointment, I met up with some ladies from our infertility/adoption group for lunch.  It was really nice to catch up with everyone.  We had met about 3 years ago in the infertility support group and now all the ladies have baby girls, with the exception of Katie who adopted embryos, who has a set of boy/girl twins.  It was so fun to catch up, see the babies and just see how far we have all come.  I am the only one yet to have a baby, so everyone was super supportive and just very excited for my upcoming transfer.

By 3 pm, I still had not heard from NEDC, so I called and left a message with Katie.  I also called my local clinic to make sure the results had been faxed over since they had an issue with getting the fax to go through back in September.  The clinic assured me they had already faxed it and it went through just fine.  So I called and left another message.  By 5 pm I had given up hope that I would hear from Katie (as it was 6 pm at NEDC) and just assumed that I would get a call tomorrow.  I was pleasantly surprised to get a call after 5 pm from Katie.  I was happy and excited to hear from her.  I said "Isn't it a little late for you to call?  I thought for sure you would have gone home and I was expecting you to call tomorrow".   Right after I said it, I thought oops, I hope it didn't sound wrong, like I was complaining about it.  She said Thursday is the long day for them and they were crazy busy with appointments that go late.

So, my lining looked good at 9 mm and my estradiol numbers were good too, though I didn't ask her what they were.  On Saturday, I start progesterone in oil (PIO) and reduce my Es.trace to 2 times a day.

My transfer is scheduled for 11:45 am on Wednesday, November 20th.  We are to arrive at the clinic at 11:15 am.

Yay!  We are officially a GO for our transfer next week.


Wednesday, November 6, 2013

2 Weeks! And Prayer Request

2 weeks!!

I am scheduled to have my transfer in exactly 2 weeks!  It seems like getting to November 20th has been a drag, but at the same time it has flown by.  I guess being sick kinda screwed up my momentum.

I have the following prayers requests.

I had a cold about 3 1/2 weeks ago.  Then I started coughing.  The cold went away, but the cough lingered. I have been coughing for about 3 weeks.  It has gotten better, but it has lingered.  I was actually worried that the cough would be a problem for my surgery but it wasn't. It's been a week since the surgery and still I'm coughing.  I keep thinking it is getting better and it will eventually go away, but it is still here.  It's really tiring and wearing me out.  I would like to be in my best health for my transfer in 2 weeks.  Please pray that this cough will be gone soon.

When I was at the hospital for my surgery last week, they found that my blood pressure was pretty high.  At recovery after the surgery, my BP was still pretty high.  The nurse told me that I need to monitor my BP and if within a week my BP is still high I need to see my doctor about it.  My BP has been fairly normal in the past.  I did some research and found out that BP can be elevated by things such as taking birth control pills, cough medicine and estrogen.  All things that I have had the last few weeks.  Also, coughing can also raise BP.  However, high BP also runs in my family.  Both my sis and my brother, both in their 40's are on BP meds.  My parents are also on meds for this.   On the other hand, I am not a prime candidate for high blood pressure..... I am not heavily overweight (though I could use to lose a few pounds), don't smoke, rarely drink, don't eat much processed foods, and don't deal with a lot of stress.  The things that are going against me are family history, possibly too much sodium in my diet, and being not very active.   I am praying that this high BP is only a temporary issue for me right now.  The last thing I want to do is to go on BP meds before my transfer.  But at the same time, I also want to make sure my BP is controlled before getting pregnant (hopefully!).  High BP can cause complications in pregnancy such as preeclampsia.  Please pray for my blood pressure.  I've always been very healthy and didn't think that high BP could hit me so early.  I suppose turning 40 is the magic number.

If you recall, my before my September transfer was cancelled, NEDC was going to delay it a couple of days because my lining was not thick enough at the ultrasound appointment.  But then they found the polyp and the cycle was cancelled all together.  Anyway, I am nervous that my lining will not be thick enough again when I have my ultrasound appointment next Thursday.  First, September proved it took a while for my lining to get thick enough (though in the past, my lining has never been an issue).  Secondly, I just had a hysteroscopy last week and they also did a D&C and scraped my lining.  That could be a good thing as then the lining is fresh, but it also means it might need more time for the lining to build up.  Thirdly, I started spotting a little today.  Not sure why, but I am.  Maybe it is nothing, but I'm a little concerned.  Finally, for the September transfer, I had spent 2 months of weekly acupuncture sessions, and yet my lining was not thick enough.  Because of the timing of my surgery, I will only have had 4 sessions of acupuncture before my transfer next week.  Not sure how much that will  help.  Anyway, I could use prayers that my lining will be thick enough so that I can have my transfer as scheduled on 11/20.  The good thing is this time we are driving, so we have more flexibility if we have to delay our transfer.

So, I could use your support and prayers in the following:
1. Cough to go away.
2. Blood pressure to go back to normal and not go on medication.
3. For my lining to be thick enough next week so I can keep my 11/20 transfer date.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

We Have A Transfer Date!

Sorry for the silence.  Been waiting for an update from Katie the NEDC nurse with the November protocol.  I finally got it on Friday.  So here's the deal.

My transfer is scheduled for Wednesday, November 20th.

I start Lu.pron next Monday, 10/21 already.

Baseline ultrasound and Estradio lab work is only 10/30.

My hysteroscopy/polypectomy to remove my polyp is on Thursday, 10/31 (yup, on Halloween!)

Ultrasound before transfer is 11/14.

Felt like nothing was happening, and now suddenly everything is happening quickly.  I ordered my Lu.pron kit today and should be getting it on Thursday.  I picked up my BCPs at Target today. I'm supposed to start them when I get my period, which till today is still a no show.  I took my last Es.trace on 9/18, which is 27 days ago.  I'm a little concerned, but Katie said as long as I take it when my period starts I'm OK.  I'm praying it will start soon.

Based on my protocol, I'm supposed to stop my BCPs on 10/25.  I'm worried that even if my period comes anytime soon, I may only be on BCPs for a few days.  Then my period is supposed to come (I hope!) but I need to have stopped bleeding before my surgery on 10/31.  Feels like it may be cutting it close!

This cycle feels a little rushed, with trying to fit in my surgery, and my period being a no show.  Also, I am stressing out a little about our trip to Knoxville.  Flights have gone up $200 per person for November, and with our cancelled flights in September, we will have to cough up another $200 extra per person for rebooking fees with Delta.  That means we will have to pay and additional $800 just for our flights.  That is also assuming my body responds properly and my uterus lining cooperates and is thick enough for transfer.  If not, then we may have to postpone the transfer for a few days.  Meaning we may have to change our flights again.  And spend more money.

Babe is suggesting that we should drive out to Knoxville this time.  That way, if we are postponed again, we have more flexibility, not have to cancel our flights and pay another $200 rebooking fee per person.  I'm thinking maybe that is not be such a bad idea.  Except for the part where we have to drive 14 hours to Knoxville.  Each way.  A total of 28 hours on the road!

I have a bit of time yet to decide.  I may just start looking at hotels for  now.


Monday, September 30, 2013

Surgery's A Go

Went to see Dr. B today, my gynecologist that did my last 2 hysteroscopies to remove my polyps.  First I saw the ultrasound technician, Mark.  My local clinic sent the ultrasound report with a description of the polyp and a copy of the ultrasound image, but the image was just a mess.  You couldn't see anything but a bunch of black splotches.  They probably just faxed the report over and you know how faxes can be.  Fortunately I brought my copy of the report that the clinic sent me and it was better.  There was also no indication of what the size of the polyp was on the report.  Again, luckily I asked about it when I called the clinic last time (it was 6mm x 6mm x 4mm).

Not that it really mattered since Mark was doing the ultrasound again, and that would be the "formal" report for Dr. B.  When Mark saw the report I brought with me, right away he could see the polyp.  I was kind of blown away because there was no way I could have picked anything out of those images.  Well, he is the one with the trained eye!

We proceeded with the ultrasound and right away, he identified the polyp.  It is in the middle of the uterine cavity, measuring at 7mm x 5mm.  It seems like it had grown a tiny bit in 13 days, though Mark wasn't concerned.  He said it was the size of a Green Giant pea, squeezed so it was a little elongated.  He made sure to note that it was the Green Giant pea, as the are a little bigger than the other types (he's kinda funny like that).

Mark asked why we needed to remove the polyp.  I started giving an explanation and then realized it was a rhetorical question.  Doh!  That made me feel kinda silly.  Anyway, he explained we needed to remove the polyp because it can act like an IUD (intrauterine device, for birth control) in the uterus.  It can irritate the uterus, prevent pregnancies and cause miscarriages.  So, Mark confirmed that I have a polyp that needs to be removed "so that we can get you pregnant!".  His words.  He also noticed that my right ovary sits behind and under my uterus, an odd location.  This is not a surprise to me I already knew this.  We had issues accessing my right ovary during one of my past IVFs.  He also thought I am going ovulate on my left ovary in the next few days.  Is that even possible, since I was on Lu.pron and birth control?

Next, I saw Dr. B.  Since this is going to be my 3rd hysteroscopy, it was a quick appointment.  I told him how my September was cancelled, and how we needed to get this polyp removed in October so I can have a November transfer.  He listened to my heart and breathing to make sure I was healthy and walked me down to his scheduler.  I also explained that it needed to be done before I  started Es.trace for the transfer, but I didn't know when it would be since NEDC would not be able to give me the protocol till later this week, or next.  He gave me the scheduler's business card and I am to call her once I hear back from NEDC with my protocol and the exact timing the surgery needs to be done.

The only complication is Dr. B is going to be gone for a week on a missions trip overseas between October 19th and 25th.  So that might be a problem.  Plus his surgery schedule is getting pretty full.  But he assured me we would work something out.  He usually only does surgeries on Tuesday and Thursdays, but if he had to, he would do the surgery on an evening or even a Saturday.  You gotta love this guy!

So I'm gonna have to bug Katie, the NEDC nurse to see if I can get the protocol as soon as possible!

So for now, my surgery's a go, though I don't know exactly when yet.

I'll leave you with an image of my ultrasound from today.  My polyp is white bean shaped thing between the 2 white arrows.   It seems pretty large to me, but it's actually only 7mm x 5mm.

Image of my polyp (between the 2 white arrows)